Review: Dash & Lily's Book of Dares

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares 
by Rachel Cohn, David Levithan


Review: I went into this novel with the highest of hopes having previously loved both the book and movie version of Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist. It seemed like the perfect match for me, I loved the idea of leaving a journal hidden in a bookstore for someone to find and complete a set of crazy dares. I also loved the adorable cover, just like everyone else but the overall feeling I held for the book seems to be completely different to most of the other reviews I've come across.

What we ultimately have here is two lonely kids on Christmas wanting some comfort and joy after both of their families bail on them in the nicest way possible. Lily initiates the relationship with much force from her older brother by placing a ruby red notebook in what better location to meet a boy than a bookstore! It just so happens that a (dash)ing boy finds and rapidly completes the curious challenges only to fire back with some of his own.

While I probably gauged my rating closer to a 3.5, it did fizzle out from the middle onwards. I continually found myself distracted from what I was reading. I may have just had other things on my mind but if I went back and re-read this book, I'm afraid I'd just come up with the exact same response only with the lack of mystery and intrigue.

This book isn't anything near to terrible, it just didn't live up to my incredibly high expectations. I rarely read books with a Christmas backdrop but this is perfect to read in the current season, providing hope for even the saddest of us all. I also really enjoyed the alternating chapters between the main male and female characters, it's great to get a feel for each person as an individual.


P.S I'd love to be on either end of this notebook caper, so all you wannabe soul mates start planning your challenges!

©2012 Design by Katelyn Brooke Designs