Recipe // DIY Smoothie Cubes

Today, I'm stepping a little bit out of the norm in terms of blog topics with a fun and fruity recipe. I was inspired to create my own version of Smoothie Cubes while browsing my newest obsession, Pinterest (follow me here).

You may have spotted a rather expensive variety of frozen smoothie cubes at your local supermarket. Basically, the idea is to have yoghurt and frozen fruit in convenient cubes for creating a breakfast smoothie.

I scoured the kitchen for fruits suitable for use and came up with frozen berries and a very ripe banana. If tempted to make this recipe again, I'd be very keen to try out different  flavour combos but for now I'm steering clear of the ruby red apple and lemon, I found at the bottom of the refrigerator.

Simply place a heaped tablespoon of yoghurt in each muffin tin and top with desired fruit. Cover with cling wrap and pop in the freezer overnight.

Smoothie Cubes

What You'll Need:
- Texas Muffin Tray
- Cling Wrap

Very Berry Smoothie
1/2 Cup Fresh or Frozen Berries
3 Tablespoons Vanilla Yoghurt

Banana Bash Smoothie
1 Ripe Banana, Sliced
3 Tablespoons Passionfruit Yoghurt
3 Teaspoons Honey


Method

  1. Scoop a tablespoon of yoghurt into each muffin tin.
  2. Top with desired ingredients.
  3. Cover with cling wrap and pop in freezer overnight. 



Once frozen solid, pop out of muffin tray for use in a mixer with added oats and milk or simply juice on it's own. Freeze any leftovers in a zip lock bag.

©2012 Design by Katelyn Brooke Designs