TOP 5 // Secrets to Blogging 101

I have been blogging for exactly...
2 years, 11 months and 21 days
and in that time I've learnt a few things. I'll also admit I still have a lot to learn and I'm mystified on a daily basis by the bloggers with millions upon millions of readers.

My Top Tips for Blogging Successfully


STRIKE WHILE THE IRON IS HOT

I find that I can sit at the computer all day and not write a single word yet the hour I'm due to log off is when I get a wave of inspiration. The key is to get as much work done in this time without slacking off on social / family responsibilities.

WRITE NOW, EDIT LATER

I personally think I'd be an amazing editor. I love reading through text while fixing up the grammar and spelling errors. Yet, I've learnt to try and switch off my editing abilities until the bulk of the writing is done otherwise I completely lose my train of thought and never end up completing the blog post.

READ OTHER BLOGS (& MAGAZINES!)

It's where you'll find 99% of your inspiration. It's why you'll strive to be a better blogger. It's where you'll learn things, earn new readers and make new friends. Oh, and also credit the original blogger whether it be for a tiny little idea, meme or photo… otherwise things can get real nasty.

HAVE A LIFE & HAVE A BLOG

If you spend your time day in, day out writing your blog and not much else, you'll soon hit a wall and almost start to hate on your blog when all you really want is an amazing creative outlet where you can share your thoughts and feelings on a variety of topics. It can sometimes be hard to multi-task between your blog and a personal life but one without the other does not add up.

FINISH IT NOW!

I often have a multi-tide of ideas that come tumbling at me all at once. The goal here is to prioritise and finish an entire blog post first before moving onto anything else. You'll find yourself coming back to the post tomorrow with no idea of how to wrap it up, so it becomes a complete waste of time.

Q: What techniques do you find work best when writing for your blog? What advice would you give to new bloggers?

©2012 Design by Katelyn Brooke Designs